On Saturday 2nd May 2015, Floyd Mayweather, cemented his status as best pound-for-pound boxer with an unanimous decision over Manny Pacquiao as the bout termed as ‘‘Fight of the Century’‘ failed to live upto the expectations.
There were boos from the 17000 crowd in the MGM Grand after Mayweather beat his rival Pacquiao from philipines, to frustrate the hopes of full-blooded slugfest.
- Mayweather 38, retained his WBC and WBA titles and seized Pacquiao belt by winning the fight on all the three judges scorecards.
- Mayweather got scores of 116-112 from 2 judges and 118-110 from the third judge.
- When results were announced, the pro-Pacquiao crowd booed and tried drowning out Mayweather’s post-fight comments over the public address system.
- Filipinos Pacquiao suffered his sixth loss of his career to go with 57 wins and 2 draws.
- This fight is the costliest ever in the history of the game with revenues of $ 400million.
- Floyd Mayweather told that Septembers fight will be his last and he would be retiring as it fulfills his six-fight contract with showtime Sports.
- Through this fight, Mayweather estimated to have earned $200million.
The fight was attended by some famous Hollywood actors like Clint Eastwood,Denzel Washington,Bradley Cooper and sports personalities like tennis star Andre Agassi and his wife Steffi Graf being others who attended.
About Floyd Mayweather
- Mayweather was born on 24th February 1977 in Michigan,United States.
- He is five-division world champion and undefeated professional.
- He had won eleven world titles and lineal championship in 4 different weight classes.
- He is WBC,WBA,WBO and Ring Welterweight Champion and rated as the best pound-for-pound boxer.
- He has won all the 48 fights he took part with 26 of those by knockouts.
About Manny Pacquiao
- Pacquiao was born on 17th December 1978 in Kibawe,Philippines.
- At age of 32 he was elected as Philippine World of Representatives.
- Basketball, acting and singing are his other activities.
- He is first and only eight-division world champion ever.
- Out of 65 fights he took part he won 57 of them and 38 by knock outs.
- He is ranked 3 on the Ring pound-for-pound boxer in the world.