May 3rd of every year is observed as World Press Freedom Day all over the world. Theme of 2015 is ‘let journalism thrive! towards better reporting,gender equality,media safety in the digital age’. This day gives an opportunity to celebrate the fundamental principles to evaluate press freedom, to assess the state of freedom of press all over the world and to defend the media from attacks on their independence.
- In facebook posted message, the Information and Broadcasting minister Mr. Arun Jaitley, wished fellow citizens and journalist friends the very best and to asked them to rededicate to the constitutional principles of independent ,free and pluralistic media.
- Minister of State of I&B, Mr Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, posted a message on twitter extending his wishes and saying in a democratic government freedom of speech is very essential.
- Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova and UN high Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid AlHussain observed that quality journalism helps the citizens to make informed decisions about their society’s development.
- Human Rights must be respected for peace to be lasting and also for sustained development.
About world press freedom day
- World Press Freedom Day was announced officially in December 1993 by United General Assembly.
- It was proclaimed after recommendations adopted at 26th sessions UNESCO general conference in 1991.
- The recommendation was response to a call given by african journalists, who in 1991 produced Windhoek Declaration on media pluralism and independence.
- Since then May 3rd, the anniversary of Declaration of Windhoek, is celebrated as World Press Freedom Day.
- The main aim of this day is to raise awareness of the importance of freedom of the press.
- Also to remind government of their duties to respect and uphold the right to freedom of expression and pay tribute to journalists who had lost their lives in the line of duty.
- UNESCO, on this day presents Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize on deserving organisations , individuals etc and the function will take place on 3rd May 2015 at National Library of Lativia in Riga
- Christiane Amanpour, famous journalist and CNN Chief International Correspondent, was named asGoodwill Ambassador for Freedom Of expression and Journalist Safety.