The Union Government has decided to appoint Olympic medallist boxer MC Mary Kom as the brand ambassador for north-east India to promote the region all over India and also in other countries. The official announcement has been made by the Minister of State in the Ministry of Development of North East Region (DoNER) Jitendra Singh while addressing the 10th North East Business Summit in New Delhi.
Knowledge is Wealth
- Mary Kom is a five—time World Amateur Boxing champion.
- She is the only woman boxer to have won a medal in each one of the six world championships.
- Mary Kom was the first Indian woman boxer (-51 kg) to win a gold medal in Asian Games.
- She was voted as the India’s Most valuable Player of India’s Incheon Asian Games campaign.
- On March 2015, Mary Kom confirmed she will retire after 2016 Rio Olympics.