World Meteorological Day is observed on March 23rd every year since 1961. On this day in 1950, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) was established. The WMO’s is important mission is to support the all the countries by providing meteorological services related to natural disasters, climate and water. The WMO protects the life, property, and also contribute to sustainable development.
The theme for 2015 World Meteorological Day is “Climate knowledge for climate action”.
Knowledge is Wealth
- The headquarters of WMO is Geneva, Switzerland.
- WMO was originated from the International Meteorological Organization, which was founded in 1873.
- The current Secretary-General of WMO is Michel Jarraud.
- The current President of WMO is is David Grimes.
- The India Meteorological Department (IMD) comes directly under the Ministry of Earth Sciences of the GOI.
- IMD is headquartered in New Delhi and operates many observation stations in India and also in Antarctica.
- India’s First Scientific Base Station in Antarctica was Dakshin Gangotri. It was established in 1983-84. Dakshin Gangotri was abandoned in 1990 and it was converted into a supply base.
- Now the operating Antarctic station of India is Maitri, which was established in 1989.
- The IMD is headed by the Director General of Meteorology, Dr. Laxman Singh Rathore.