Manipur Governor Najma Heptulla has been unanimously appointed as the Chancellor (Amir-e-Jamia) of Jamia Millia Islamia for a five year term by the University’s Court (Anjuman). She succeeds Lt. Gen. (Retd.) M.A. Zaki, who will complete his five-year term this month. Appointment of Najma Heptulla was confirmed by Tala Ahmad, the Vice-Chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia.
Political Career of Najma Heptulla:
Heptulla was born on April 13, 1940 in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.She has been a five-time member of the Rajya Sabha, and it’s Deputy Chairman for 16 years.
- In year 2004, Ms. Heptulla joined Bharatiya Janata Party. Earlier she was with Indian National Congress.
- Before being appointed as the Governor of Manipur, she was the Minister of Minority Affairs in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Cabinet.
- In year 1993, Ms. Heptulla presided over the women’s parliamentarians’ group of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU).
- She held the post of President of IPU from 1999 to 2002. IPUis a Geneva, Switzerland-based global inter-parliamentary institution established in 1889.
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) had appointed Ms. Heptulla as its Human Development Ambassador.
- Heptullah is the grand neice of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, a noted scholar and India’s first education minister
About Jamia Millia Islamia:
Jamia Millia Islamia is a public central university located in Delhi.
- It was established by Muslim leaders during British rule in 1920. Ali Brothers,Moulana Mohammad Ali Jouhar and Moulana Shaukat Ali played an important role in setting up this university.
- In 1988, it was conferred the status of Central University by an act of theIndian Parliament.
- Jamia Millia Islamia has one of the finest libraries in India, which has been set up from the fund donated by Sultan of Saudi Arabia in year 2006.
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification