- To make rail tracks discharge free zones
- Indian Railway will convert into green corridor and zero toilet discharge section.
Train route: Nearly 114 km route between Rameswaram and Manmadurai in Tamil Nadu by the end of this month.
A zero toilet discharge section:
- It forecast all trains passing on that particular route would have biotoilets which eliminate open discharge of waste on the tracks.
- There are about 14 stations between Rameswaram and Manmadurai.
- About 16 passenger trains use the track everyday.
- All coaches of trains passing through the Manmadurai and Rameswaram section are now equipped with biotoilets.
- Bio toilets eliminate open discharge of waste on the track as the waste is digested by specially developed bacteria.
- Only small amount of clean water is discharged in the process.
Future Implementation :
- Kanalus Dwarka Okha and Porbunder Wansjalya train routes in Gujarat will have zero toilet discharge sections.
- Jammu Katra route will also be made a zero discharge section.
Other Related Information:
- Currently, Railways have installed more than 20,000 biotoilets in trains
- It has set a target to fit 17,000 more this fiscal.
- It costs about Rs 3.5 lakh to install four Zero Discharge Toilet Systems in a coach.