The Controller-General of Patents, Designs and Trademarks (CGPDTM) have recently released its annual report. CGPDTM works under the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry. The Controller General supervises the working of the Patents Act, 1970, the Designs Act, 2000 and the Trade Marks Act, 1999 and also renders advice to the Government on matters relating to these subjects. It also administers the Geographical Indications Registry.
The report contains interesting statistics about filing of patents in India:
- Among states, Maharashtra (2,892) filed the most patents during the year 2013-14. The other top 5 states in the number of patents filed are: Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Delhi and Andhra Pradesh.
- Interestingly, Karnataka (1639) has seen 40% increase in the number of patents filed by it, overtaking Tamil Nadu from behind. This is being attributed to the growth of global R&D centres being set up in the state
- Among cities, Bangalore tops the list, again because of the presence of top class IT industry which is focussing on R&D
- The top companies who contributed the most from Bangalore: Samsung R&D Institute (84 patents), Infosys (83 patents), Wipro Ltd (59 patents) and Samsung India Software Operations Pvt. Ltd (66 patents)
- Among institutions: Indian Institute of Science (IISc) (32 patents), Siddaganga Institute of Technology (24 patents), Tumakuru and Indian Space Research Organisation (12 patents)
With global manufacturing companies like Huawei, which is planning to invest $170 million in an R&D campus, and similar plans by Xiaomi and Twitter, the number of Patents filing will grow exponentially in the coming years.
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification