On January 28, 2021, Maharashtra Chief Minister (CM) Uddhav Thackeray launched the Agriculture Pump Power Connection Policy 2020 which aims to provide uninterrupted power supply to the farmers. He also inaugurated several farm related initiatives like Solar Energy Land Bank Portal, Krishi Urja Abhiyan Policy 2020 Web Portal, ACF App developed by Power DISCOM Mahavitaran & Maha Krishi Abhiyan App.
- He also launched an Amnesty scheme for farmers to recover their outstanding arrears for electricity bills of agricultural pumps.
- Ajit Pawar, Deputy Chief Minister of Maharashtra;Dr. Nitin Raut, Energy Minister of Maharashtra & Balasaheb Thorat, Revenue Minister of Maharashtra were present during the event.
i.Objectives of the Pump Power Connection Policy 2020:
- Target of 2 lakh new Pump Power Connections in two years (2021-22).
- Eight-hour power supply to farmers in the next 3 years (2021-23).
- Maharashtra is set to spend ~ INR 1,500 each year till 2024 for the implementation of this policy.
ii.Maharashtra’s Scheme for recovering Outstanding Arrears:
According to Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Ltd (MSEDCL) the arrears from farmers for electricity bills stands at INR 45, 559 Crores. Therefore, Maharashtra has launched a Amnesty scheme
- Farmers will get an 50% waiver if they clear their pending dues within 1 year.
- They will be given 3 years to clear their pending bills.
- 33% of recovered amount will be set aside for improving the Local Power Network infrastructure of the concerned gram panchayat.
- Another 33% for improving the Local Power Network infrastructure of the district.
Recent Related News:
i.On 09 December, 2020 State Government of Maharashtra led by CM Uddhav Thackeray launched the “Sharad Pawar Rural Prosperity Scheme”.
Dams – Koyna Dam (Koyna River), Jayakwadi Dam (Godavari River), Isapur Dam (Penganga River)
RAMSAR Sites – Lonar Lake, Nandur Madhameshwar