On Sunday, 10th May 2015, India’s Rohan Bopanna and his new partner Florin Mergea (Romania) , won the Men’s doubles Title beating Nenand Zimonjic (Serbia) and Martin Makowski (Poland) by 6-2 6-7 7-9. It was Bopanna’s third title of the 2015 season.
- Bopanna and his Romanian pair saved a match point and overcame the challenge of the opponents in a game that lasted for 1hour and 24 minutes.
- With Canadian Daniel Nestor, Bopanna won two titles in Sydney and in Dubai at the start of the season and splitted with the Canadian.
- After ending up runners-up in Casablanca event last month,this was the second finals where both Bopanna and Mergea were involved.
- They split euro 247,560 prize money and got 1000 ranking points each.
- The Indian Roman pair won the first set in 23 minutes by racing to 4-1 lead and never allowing the opponents to come back.
- They kept the pressure on and got 3 set points in the 8th game.
- Matkowski and Zimonjic fought well in the 2nd set and broke Mergea in the 3rd game.
- Bopanna and Mergea prevented the opponents with break-back effort
- Bopanna too had break chance in 5th game after hitting an ace, but held after another service winner.
- Indo-Romanian pair was 0-40 In the 6th game, but managed to earn break point.The set forced a tie breaker.
- Bopanna and Mergea then went 4-1 lead and lost 4 points in a row to trail 4-5.They saved a set point but Matkowski and Zimonjic took the match to Super Tie Breaker.
- The Indo-Romanian pair opened with 6-1 lead in the tie breaker,but the score was 8-8 sooner,Bopanna and Mergea saved a match point at 8-9 and reeled of next 3 points to finish the contest in their favour.
Men’s singles Title
Britain’s ace tennis player Andy Murray has won the 2015 Mutua Madrid Open Men’s Singles Title. In the final match he defeated defending champion Rafael Nadal of Spain by 6-3, 6-2 score. This is Andy Murray’s first Mutua Madrid Open title.
Women’s singles Title
Petra Kvitova of Czech Republic has won the 2015 Mutua Madrid Open Women’s Singles Title. In the final match she defeated Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia by 6-1, 6-2 score. This was Petra Kvitova’s second Mutua Madrid Open Women’s Singles Title. Earlier she had won it in 2011.
Women’s doubles Title
Casey Dellacqua (Australia) and Yaroslava Shvedova (Russia) pair won the 2015 Mutua Madrid Open Women’s doubles Title. In the final match, they defeated Spanish pair Garbiñe Muguruza and Carla Suárez Navarro by 6–3, 6–7,(4–7), [10–5] score.
About Madrid Open Trophy
- This tournament is presently sponsored by Mutua Madrilena.
- The venue is Madrid, Spain.
- Ion Tiriac, former Romanian ATP player, is the current owner of this tournament.
- Year 2015, men’s singles winner is Andy Murray, women’s singles winner is Petra Kvitova.
- In 2015 men’s doubles winners are Rohan Bopanna and Florin Mergea, women’s doubles Casy Dellacqua and Yaroslava Shvedova
About Rohan Bopanna
- Bopanna was born on 4th March 1990 in Banglore,India.
- In doubles ranking he is in 17th position in the world.
- Bopanna’s highest ranking is 213 in singles.
- His highest ranking in doubles is no 3 in 2013 and present ranking is no 27 in 2015.