Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shri Shivraj Singh Chouhan on December 10, 2016, inaugurated the programme to distribute Pradhan Mantri Fasal Beema Yojna claim worth 4 thousand 416 crore rupees to 20 lakh 46 thousand farmers of the state from Ujjain district.
- Earlier on February 18, 2016, Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Prime Ministers Crop Insurance Scheme at Sherpur in Sehore district of Madhya Pradesh during the Farmers Convention.
- Madhya Pradesh became the First Indian State to implement the Prime Ministers Crop Insurance schemes by distributing such a big insurance claim worth Rupees 4 thousand 416 crore among farmers.
- This is also the biggest and first-ever crop insurance claim distribution programme in Indian History.
About the Insurance Claim Distribution Programme
Minister for Farmers Welfare and Agriculture Development Gourishankar Bisen informed that under the Prime Minister Crop Insurance Scheme, farmers who lost Kharif Crop in the year 2015 due to natural calamities will be benefited.
- The distribution of the crop insurance claim will take place in all the 51 districts of the state and Chief Minister will begin insurance claim distribution at Ujjain.
- Various camps will be held at all Tehsils where letter of the Chief Minister, certificate of insurance claim amount will be provided to the farmers.
- In case any beneficiary could not attend the programme than revenue officer will hand-over the certificate personally at home.
- During the distribution programme at Ujjain, the Chief Minister Chouhan will also present a roadmap to the farmers to suggesting ways to double the agriculture income.
- Besides, the beneficiaries would also be provided with approval letters for agriculture equipments like sprinklers, drip set, seed cum fertilizer drill, seed under the Annapurna Scheme, keys of tractors etc.
- Farmers would be provided with information regarding new agriculture techniques and crop insurance. About forty lakh farmers were linked to the Prime Minister Crop Insurance Scheme in the state.
- The insurance claim amount will be provided to the farmers in their bank accounts through online procedure.
- Under the Prime Minister Crop Insurance Scheme, claim amount to be distributed in different districts include: 400 crore at Sehore and Dewas, 300 crore at Ujjain and Vidisha, 200 crore at Rajgarh, Sagar, Hoshangabad, Shajapur, Mandsaur and 100 crore at Raisen, Harda, Agar-Malwa, Narsinghpur, Neemuch, Betul and Indore.
About Prime Minister’s Crop Insurance Scheme
The Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (Prime Minister’s Crop Insurance Scheme) was launched by Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi on 18 February 2016.
- It requires a uniform premium of only 2 per cent to be paid by farmers for Kharif crops, and 1.5 per cent for Rabi crops and 5 percent premium for annual commercial and horticultural crops.
- This scheme aims to bring in more than 50% of the farmers to benefit with crop production within the next 2–3 years. Around 25% of the claims will be sent to the farmer’s direct account.
- This insurance scheme will also covers local calamities too, such as landslide, hailstorm, inundation, etc. inundation was not covered by the previous schemes.