M.J. Joseph has been appointed as the Controller General of Accounts (CGA) in the Ministry of Finance. Prior to this appointment, Joseph was the Director General of the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).
He succeeds Shri Jawahar Thakur who has been appointed as OSD (Accounting Reforms) in the Office of CGA.
Roles and Responsibility of Controller General of Accounts :
- He is the principal Accounts Adviser to the Government of India.
- He is the responsible for establishing and maintaining a technically sound management accounting system.
- He prepares a critical analysis of
- Borrowings and
- Deficit for the Finance Minister every month.
- He also prepares annual Appropriation Accounts (Civil) and Union Finance Accounts for presentation to the Parliament.
About M J Joseph :
- He belongs to Indian Civil Accounts Service cadre,1979 batch
- He is a Post Graduate in International Economic Relations and studied Business Management from the University of Sydney, Australia.
Previous Assignments :
- Prior to this appointment, Joseph was the Director General of the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).
- Additional Secretary, in the Ministry of Corporate Affairs
- Joint Secretary and Financial Advisor in the President Secretariat
- He has also worked with the International Monitory Fund (IMF) as a Public Financial Management Adviser at the IMF’s Regional Technical Assistance centre based at Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
About Indian Civil Accounts Service :
- ICAS functions under the Department of Expenditure in the Union Ministry of Finance.
- IACS is one of the Civil Services of India (“Group A”).
- The service was created with the purpose of separating Auditing and Accounting functions of the Union Government.
- Set up in the year 1976.
About Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) :
- National Standards Body of India
- Working under the aegis of Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution, Government of India.
- The Minister in charge of the Ministry or Department having administrative control of the BIS is the ex-officio President of the BIS.
- As a corporate body, it has 25 members drawn from Central or State Governments, industry, scientific and research institutions, and consumer organizations.
- Its headquarters are in New Delhi.
Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution : Ram Vilas Paswan