On June 20, 2017, Larsen & Toubro (L&T) announced the launch of a Floating Dock (FDN-2) designed and built for the Indian Navy at the company’s shipyard at Kattupalli, near Chennai.
- The floating Dock was formally launched by Anjali Deshpande, wife of Vice Admiral DM Deshpande, AVSM, VSM, Controller of Warship Production & Acquisition at an impressive ceremony.
- Vice Admiral DM Deshpande was the Chief Guest at the ceremony.
- J.D. Patil, Senior Executive Vice President & Whole time Director (Designate) of L&T Defence and Vice Admiral B. Kannan (Retd), MD & CEO of L&T Shipbuilding were present at the ceremony.
L&T was mandated by the Ministry of Defence in May 2015 to design and build the FDN- 2 for an order value of Rs. 468 Crore.
Specifications of Floating Dock:
The Floating Dock (FDN-2), Yard 55000 is an indigenously designed and built platform with state of the art machinery & control systems.
- It is the first Naval shipbuilding project for L&T.
- The Floating Dock is 185m long and 40m wide.
- It is capable of docking warships of up to 8000 Tons displacement.
- The dock has high capacity ballast pumps, along with advanced automated ballast control system.
- It covers provided with the FDN-2 facilitate repair & refit activities in inclement weather conditions.
- FDN-2 will now be put through a series of harbour trials before delivery to the Navy.
Quick Facts about Larsen & Toubro (L&T):
Larsen & Toubro was founded in year 1938.
- It is an Indian multinational engaged in technology, engineering, construction, manufacturing and financial services with USD 17 billion in revenue.
- Headquarters of L&T is located in It operates in over 30 countries worldwide.
- M. Naik is the Group Executive Chairman of L&T