At the Durbar hall of Raj Bhavan in Aizawl on Tuesday 26th May 2015, Lt General(Retd) Mr Nirbhay Sharma was sworn-in as 17th governor of Mizoram. According to the provisions of Article 159 of Indian Constitution, judge of Gauhati High Court, Justice T Vaipehi administered Nirbhay Sharma the Oath of office.
- Mr Sharma will succeed West Bengal Governor Mr Keshari Nath Tripathi who was given additional charge of Mizoram in April 2015.
- State Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla, his cabinet colleagues, legislators from ruling Congress as well as from opposition MNF or Mizo National Front,Army and other senior officials of state government took part in the swearing-in ceremony.
- Mr Nirbhay Sharma is the 8th Governor of Mizoram state after the previous Governor Vakkom Purushothaman resigned on 12th July 2014 in protest against after he was transferred to Nagaland.
- As director General (Perspective Planning) in the Army Headquarters, Sharma worked on the restructuring of the army headquarters and helped in drafting the ”Army Vision 2020” document.
- MZP or Mizo Zirlai Pawl , apex body of students organisation staged series of demonstrations before Raj Bhavan and central government offices accusing National Democratic Alliance Government.of using Mizoram as ”gubernatorial dumping ground”.
About Nirbhay Sharma
- Nirbhay sharma was born in Lucknow in 1946.
- He was commissioned in Indian Army as Commissioned Officer in 1966.
- He is a product of National Defence Academy.
- He did his MSc and MPhil in defence studied from the University of madras.
- He is widely recognized strategic thinker and defence analyst.
- In 2008, he was appointed as a member of UPSC .
- In 2013, he became Governor of Arunachal Pradesh.
National Defence Academy NDA
- NDA is joint Services academy of Indian Armed Forces.
- Established on 7th December 1954.
- It is located at Khadakwasla,Maharastra.
- Commandant Vice Admiral G Ashok Kumar.