On October 27, 2020, Lok Sabha Speaker, Om Birla virtually addressed the Sixth BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China & Republic of South Africa) Parliamentary Forum.
Theme of the meeting – “BRICS partnership in the interest of the global stability, general safety and innovative growth: parliamentary dimension.”.
Chairman of the 6th BRICS Forum – Chairman of the State Duma of the Federal Assembly of Russia, Vyachaslav Volodin.
Apart from Lok Sabha Speaker, Om Birla, Chairman of Parliamentary Standing Committee on Chemicals and Fertilisers (Lok Sabha), Kanimozhi Karunanidhi participated in the meeting.
Key points from Om Birla’s Address:
i.Om Birla highlighted the need for BRICS countries to intensify collective fight against terrorism posing the biggest threat to humankind.
ii.He called for immediate stopping of funding of terrorist activities and for addressing conditions conducive to spread of terrorism and violent extremism.
iii.He stated that the outbreak of Pandemic does not threaten the progress towards achievement of Agenda 2030 of Sustainable Development Goals and that they remain committed to achieve Zero Hunger, Poverty Eradication and an inclusive and just world.
iv.Om Birla highlighted the initiatives taken by Government of India to address the Pandemic. They are:
- Implementation of 260 Billion Dollar Economic stimulus package to address the challenge of empowerment of vulnerable sections, revival of agriculture, agri-business, Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) and other industries.
- Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan to empower farmers, urban working class and middle class.
- Launch of Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyan, a comprehensive employment generation and rural development scheme for the benefit of people facing economic distress.
Highlights from meeting:
i.Heads of Delegations of parliaments of BRICS countries addressed the forum.
ii.The Forum discussed plans to
- Improve standards and quality of life of citizens of BRICS countries
- Preparing legislative initiatives to improve health care systems
- Issues of social protection & economic recovery in Pandemic
- Development of parliamentary cooperation with BRICS.
iii.Valentina Matvienko (Speaker of Federation Council, Russia) highlighted the readiness of Strategy for BRICS Economic Partnership for period up to 2025 and the Draft BRICS Counter-Terrorism Strategy was also agreed.
Recent Related News:
i.On September 17, 2020, the 6th BRICS Communication Ministers Meeting was hosted by Maxim Parshin, Deputy Minister of Digital Development, Communications and Mass Media of Russia in virtual format, India was represented by Sanjay Dhotre, Minister of State (MoS) for Communications, Electronics & Information Technology and Education.
ii.On 30th July 2020, Prakash Javadekar, Union Minister of MoEF&CC participated in the 6th BRICS Environment Ministers’ Meeting under the presidency of Russia along with the Environment minister of Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa.
BRICS Chairman (2020) – Russia
President of New Development Bank (BRICS Bank) – Marcos Prado Troyjo (Brazil)