Lok Sabha clears Land Aquisition Bill
In the Lok Sabha, the new bill, the Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement (Amendment) Bill 2015 was passed by Voice note after incorporating nine amendments moved by governments. Arguing that Land Aquisition bill should not be sent in standing committee, the congress walked out of Lok sabha.
Key Highlights of Bill are stated below:
- Date of Passing: 10th March 2015 by Voice note.
- The bill was passed by incorporating Nine amendments.
- Important Amendments are:
- Land Acquisition only for industrial corridors set up by Government.Ordinance did not clarify the inclusion of projects by private players.
- Land acquired for industrial corridor cannot exceed 1 km on either side of designated rail line or road.
- Compulsory employment for one member of affected farm laborer’s family in the project coming up on land.
- Court can take cognizance of offence by government employee
- Ordinance had sought govt sanction for prosecution;now it would be easy to pull up an official below the rank of Joint Secretary.
- Local redressal of complaints on Compensation.
- Social infrastructure projects not exempt from consent clause and social impact assessment.
- No acquisition for schools and hospitals by private persons.
- Redressal of grievances at district level and prescribe that state determine the acquisition is for bare minimum.
The opposition moved 52 amendments which were either nullified or were not pressed by members. Later Congress, SP, TMC left and others walked out to let the bill passed by voice note. The Akali Dal has insisted to restore the “Consent clause” be restored and the Shiv Sena remain stuck not to vote for the bill.