The bill enabling Aadhaar card to be mandatory to avail the subsidies and schemes of the Government has been passed in the Lok Sabha.
Aadhaar number: It is a unique number given to the citizen of India who has stayed in the country for a minimum of 182 days preceding the date of application of the form.
Aadhaar card:It is a valid identity proof issued by the Government of India by recording the finger print, retina and photograph of a person.
Aadhaar bill:The Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Bill, 2016 aims to ensure targeted services to intended beneficiaries through Aadhaar card
- It would enable the schemes to be reached directly to the beneficiaries stopping the intervention of intermediaries
- It will save the government around 20000 crores
- Subsidy through Aadhaar cards of LPG consumers had resulted in savings of over Rs 15,000 crore at the Centre
- The scheme already implemented in a four states for PDS has saved 2300 crores
- It is feared that Biometric data could be misused
- It is seen as a breachment of privacy
- It has not been decided whether Aadhaar bill is Money bill or not
Points to note
- Parliamentary affairs Minister- Venkaiah Naidu
- The National Identification Authority of India (NIDAI) Bill, 2010 was constituted by UPA government