Professional football player Lionel Messi has won the European Golden Shoe for a fourth time. Playing for FC Barcelona, Lionel Messi scored 37 goals this season.
- With the fourth Golden shoe to his name, Messi has equalled Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo’s record.
- European Golden Shoe is awarded every season to the leading goal scorer.
- Lionel Messi topped the Golden Shoe table by scoring 37 goals and securing 74 points, and was ahead of Bas Dost of Sporting Lisbon by six points.
European Golden Shoe Table:
|Bas Dost||Sporting Lisbon||68|
|Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang||Borussia Dortmund||62|
|Robert Lewandowski||Bayern Munich||60|
|Harry Kane||Tottenham Hotspur||58|
About European Golden Shoe:
- European Golden Shoe, is anassociation football award presented each season to the leading goal scorer from every top division national league in Europe.
- It was previously known as European Golden Boot.
- Instituted in 1967-68 season, the award was presented by L’Équipe
- Since 1996-97 season, it has been awarded by the European Sports Media.
Brief Biography of Lionel Messi:
Lionel Messi was born on June 24, 1987 in Argentina.
- He was diagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency as a child. At age of 13, he shifted to Spain to join FC Barcelona, who agreed to pay for his medical treatment.
- He plays as a striker for Argentina National Football Team and Spanish Football Club FC Barcelona.
- As a team player, he has been a part of winning Barcelona squad through 29 trophies/titles.
- On individual level, Messi has been honoured with 5 Ballon d’Or awards so far, 5 La Liga Best Player awards, and both a FIFA World Cup Golden Ball and Player of the Year title.