On October 21, 2019 the Union minister of law & justice, communications, electronics & Information Technology(IT), Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad unveiled new initiatives by the Ministry of Electronics & Information (MeitY) in the first MeitY Start-up Summit 2019 held in New Delhi.The summit is seen as a step forward to bring all key stakeholders and startups under one roof. Some of the important events in the summit are as follows
BHIM 2.0 with new functionalities:
BHIM 2.0 (Bharat Interface for Money 2.0) with additional functionalities were launched during the summit. They are as follows
- Additional languages: BHIM 2.0 apart from the existing 13 languages, now supports additional languages namely Konkani, Bhojpuri and Haryanvi.
- ‘Donation’ gateway, increased transaction limits for high value transactions, linking multiple bank accounts, offers from merchants, option of applying in IPO, gifting money are the other features.
MeitYStartup Hub(MSH) portal was launched in the summit. The portal is a collaborative platform for technology incubation centres, Centres of Excellence (CoEs), mentors, Venture Capitals(VCs) supporting tech startup ecosystem.
- Software technology parks of India (STPI), an organisation under MeitY, works on the implementation of MSH in the country. The STPI has also signed 4 Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) with Intel India Pvt limited, IIM(Indian Institute of Management) Calcutta Innovation Park, Pontaq and IBM for hub promotion.
Indian software products registry:
Indian software products registry, was launched. It acts as a single window portal to collate(collect and combine) Indian software product database.
Digital achievements made so far:
The law minister discussed about the advancement and achievement made by MeitY. They are as follows
- Indian flagship programmes namely Make in India, Digital India, Startup India created/are creating achievements in digital technology.
- JAM(Jan DhanYojana, Aadhaar and Mobile number) Trinity also paved the way for digital inclusion with 1.24 billion aadhar cards, 1.2 billion mobile phones.
- 1.25 Lakh Gram Panchayats have been connected by optical fibre. Currently 1 Lakh digital villages are connected with wifi and CSCs(Common Service centres).
- TIDE scheme: The Technology Incubation and Development of Entrepreneurs(TIDE) had made remarkable achievements in promoting startups and has now emerged as TIDE 2.0.
Awards given: Shri Prasad awarded selected fintechs and Banks that promoted digital landscape in the nation and also awarded outstanding women tech entrepreneurs.
About BHIM app:
Bhim app is a payment app, with UPI(Unified Payments Interface)
Developer- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
Launched- December 2016.
It is named after BhimraoRamjiAmbedkar (BR Ambedkar).