Kailash Satyarthi Children’s Foundation organized a ‘Laureates and Leaders’ Summit for Children from December 10 to 11 at the Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi which was inaugurated by President Pranab Mukherjee.
- Aim: The summit aimed to fight against child labour, child slavery and violence against children to build a strong moral platform for protecting children from violence, and bringing forward a world where children are free to be just children.
- The summit began on December 10 with a keynote address by President Pranab Mukherjee on the topic ‘Let us Globalise Compassion for our children’.
- Nobel Peace Prize winner for 2014 Kailash Satyarthi organized the summit to have the global participation towards solving the problem related with the future of the world.
Highlights of Summit
The summit was attended by Nobel laureates, world leaders, thinkers, representatives of United Nations Agencies, award winning child/youth leaders and eminent persons from academia, business, cinema, sports and civil society.
- The Summit held sessions on various topics such as ‘Children’s Freedom’, ‘Creating Better Lives: Healthy & Educated Children’ and ‘Changing Our Children’s Future: The Ripple Effect’.
- A session on the topic ‘Circles for Freedom: Lend Voices to our Children’, was organized to discuss issues like access to justice, role of business and youth, tapping innovation and technology, creating child friendly communities and a coordinated and holistic approach to end child slavery.
- On December 11, a meeting was organized to discuss the topic ‘Building collective wisdom for our children’ in which Laureates and Leaders interacted with child/youth leaders, government and business leaders, academia, intergovernmental organisation representatives and civil society organizations from across the world.
- An outcome session on ‘United For Children’ was organised in which Kailash Satyarthi presented his views.
- Concluding the event, President Pranab Mukherjee launched a campaign named ‘100 Million for 100 Million’ on December 11, 2016 involving participation of about 5000 children.
- Among the Dignitaries who participated in the discussion included Julia Gillard, Former Prime Minister of Australia;. Gilbert Houngbo, Former Prime Minister of Togo; Ms. Leymah Gbowee, Nobel Peace Laureate; Mr. Jeffrey Sachs, Director, The Earth Institute; Ms. Tawakkol Karman, Nobel Peace Laureate; Mr Angel Gurria, Secretary-General, Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development.
President Inaugurates ‘100 Million for 100 Million’ Campaign
The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee launched a campaign named, ‘100 Million for 100 Million’ which was organized by the Kailash Satyarthi Children’s Foundation at Rashtrapati Bhavan on December 11, 2016.
- The day also marked 81st birth anniversary of the President of India.
- The campaign was inaugurated by President in the presence of Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama, Nobel laureates Tawakkol Karman and Leymah Gbowee, former Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard and First Lady of Panama Lorena Castillo.
- The aim of ‘100 Million for 100 Million’ Campaign is to deploy 100 million youth and children each for 100 million underprivileged children across the world to end child labour, child slavery, violence against children and promote the right of every child to be safe, free, and educated, over the next 5 years.
- Along with the campaign, the President also inaugurated twin tower apartments for staff of Rashtrapati Bhavan, Navachara-II- a hall for permanent exhibition of grassroots innovations at Rashtrapati Bhavan and a museum of vintage carpets & tapestries of Rashtrapati Bhavan.