Initiative: The eight nations composing the South Asia Initiative to End Violence Against Children (SAIEVAC) are assembled.
Eight Nations : Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka
Venue and Date: New Delhi, 9th-11th May, 2016.
Purpose : To set strategies and agree on commitments to ensure the protection and security of the children of the region.
Meeting hosted by: Ministry of Women & Child Development, Government of India.
Meeting chaired by: Maneka Sanjay Gandhi,The Minister of Women and Child Development.
Ministerial meeting addressed by : Secretary General of SAARC, Mr. Arjun Bahadur Thapa
- Focusing on critical issues of child protection and violence in the region.
- Delegates from the governments and civil society organizations from eight states will assess progress and developments of the past decade of regional effort.
- Identify priorities for SAIEVAC for the next five years.
- To provide the high-level regional leadership to set the course for SAIEVAC’s next period of regional action.
About SAIEVAC :
SAIEVAC is the Apex Body of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC).
- To bring governments of the region into active engagement for child protection against violence.
- SAARC made history in 1986 by installing children as a ‘summit-level concern and commitment.’
- The forthcoming 4th Ministerial Meeting marks 30 years since that SAARC summit commitment.
- The 4th Ministerial Meeting carries forward the collective inter governmental ownership of SAIEVAC, which is reflected in its Governing Body composed of official members, representing each of the eight governments.
- The technical consultation on 9th and 10th May will bring forward recommendations on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Regional child protection opportunities emerging from country experiences
- This will include India’s positive insights from its innovative measures for tracking and rescuing lost and missing children.
- The technical will also examine the potential of using information and communication technology for improving these measures.
Trackchild and Khoya Paya, Childline-1098, POCSO Act for protecting and safeguarding childrens.
- The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) is regional inter governmental organization and geopolitical union in South Asia.
- Purpose :The organization promotes development economics and regional integration.
- Headquarters: Kathmandu