On the occasion of World Tuberculosis Day on March 24, Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare inaugurated the celebrations at Dr Ambedkar International Centre at Delhi. During the event,
- Lakshadweep (UT) & District of Budgam (Jammu & Kashmir) were declared Tuberculosis (TB) free.
- Himachal Pradesh achieved 1st Rank in India amongst the states with a population of more than 50 Lakhs, to end Tuberculosis under the National Tuberculosis Elimination Programme (NTEP).
- India also resolved to end Tuberculosis by 2025. Ending the TB epidemic by 2030 is among the health targets of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- India has 30% of World’s TB cases.
i.Union Minister Harsh Vardhan also released several reports
- State TBI Index 2021 ; Guidelines for programmatic management of Drug-Resistant TB in India, 2021; Gender-responsive approach; TB Aarogya Sathi Application for citizens/TB patients.
- Guidance document on Strategy to End Stigma and Discrimination Associated with Tuberculosis, Collaborative framework for management of TB in pregnant women.
- He also launched iDEFEAT TB Project & Corporate TB pledge.
- In 2020, India’s TB programme saw over 18.04 Lakh TB notifications, which is a fall of 24% from 2019.
- National Tuberculosis Elimination Programme (NTEP) has led to an increase in TB notifications & significant improvements in diagnosis, adherence, and treatment outcomes.
- Approved Budget for the National TB programme in 2020-21 was INR 3, 110 Crore
- During the pandemic, India used Indigenously developed cost-effective, point-of-care molecular diagnostic machines (called TrueNAT) to test for both TB and COVID-19.
- TB has been made part of Comprehensive Primary Health Care & has been integrated with Ayushman Bharat Health and Wellness Centres (HWCs).
Himachal Pradesh adjudged best State in Country on World TB Day
HP has achieved first rank in the country amongst the States with a population of more than 50 lakhs, to end Tuberculosis based on State TBI Index 2021.
Lahaul and Spiti of HP earned Silver medal. Kinnaur, Hamirpur, Una and Kangra of HP got bronze medal.
Measures Taken by Himachal Pradesh:
Mukhya Mantri Kshay Rog Nivaran Yojana was launched in HP in 2018 with an aim to eradicate TB.
Dr. Nipun Jindal, Mission Director, NHM, Himachal Pradesh and Dr. Gopal Beri received the award on behalf of HP Government.
Recent Related News:
October 15, 2020, According to the Global Tuberculosis Report 2020 released by WHO, there has been a 25 to 30 % drop in Tuberculosis (TB) case notification across three high-burden countries – India, Indonesia and Philippines between January-June 2020.
ii.On July 24, 2020, on the request of WHO, the Government of India (GoI) has extended medical assistance in the form of anti-tuberculosis medicines worth about US$ 1 million to Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK).
World Tuberculosis Day – 24th March
2021 Theme – ‘The Clock is Ticking’