On April 6, 2021, Ladakh UT Administration, Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council, Leh (LAHDC) & Solar Energy Corporation of India Limited (SECI Ltd) signed a Tripartite Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for setting up a 50 MW solar power project at Taru (Taroo) in Leh District
- It is a step towards making Ladakh Carbon Neutral.
- The power consumption is expected to go up to 200 MW in Ladakh Region in the next 5 years.
- Ladakh UT Administration is working with SECI on a 10, 000 MW milestone project in Ladakh. It is expected to make Ladakh Atma Nirbhar in the power sector.
- The Central Government has planned for 2 Solar Plants each of 7MW capacity with 21 MWh battery energy storage system at Leh&Kargil.
- The Total Peak Power demand of Ladakh is 50 MW.
- The Solar and Wind Energy Potential of Ladakh has been estimated to be about 60 GW & 100 GW.
SECI issues Tender
- In March, 2021, SECI issued a tender for 14 MW of solar with 42 MWh battery storage in Leh&Kargil under Prime Minister Development Package, 2015 for Jammu & Kashmir.
Recent Related News:
i.On February 6, 2021, UT Administration of Ladakh, LAHDC-Leh and Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) Energy Centre signed a MoU to establish India’s 1st ever Geothermal Field Development Project in Puga Village of Eastern Ladakh (UT Ladakh).
About Ladakh UT
Lieutenant Governor – Radha Krishna Mathur
Capital – Leh
About Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council, Leh (LAHDC, Leh)
Chairman/Chief Executive Councillor – Tashi Gyalson
About Solar Energy Corporation of India Limited (SECI Ltd)
Chairman & Managing Director – Jatindra Nath Swain
Head Office – New Delhi