Kalyani Rafael Advanced System (KRAS), a joint venture of India’s Kalyani Strategic Systems (KSSL) and Israel’s Rafael Advanced Defense System has started the delivery of BARAK-8 Medium Range Surface to Air Missile (MRSAM) kits to the Indian Army and the Indian Air Force. The kits will be delivered from the Hyderabad plant of KRAS.’
- In 2019, KRAS bagged a USD 100 Million Contract for manufacturing 1, 000 BARAK-8 MRSAM missile kits.
- Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) is the custodian of the missile programme & Bharat Dynamics Ltd (BDL) the integrator.
- The Missile kits will be supplied through Rafael to BDL.
- Designed by RAFAEL Advanced Defense Systems Ltd (100% Rafael design output & Indigenous content less than 30%).
Increasing Indigenous Content
- KRAS is working with Indian firms to increase the share of Indigenous content in MRSAM Missile Kits to 50% by the time 250 kits are supplied and 60% when 500 kits are delivered.
- KRAS is looking to export the Missile kits.
KRAS Plant in Hyderabad
- The Plant was established in 2017 to manufacture Anti Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM).
- The BARAK-8 Missile Kit is the 2nd product from KRAS’ Hyderabad Plant.
- KRAS plant mainly focuses on assembly, integration and testing (AIT) of Modern Weapon Systems being inducted by Defence Forces.
- It is also focussing on the Maintenance, Repair and Operations (MRO) segment.
Production of Spice 2000 Bombs
- KRAS is also manufacturing 200 Numbers of Spice 2000 Guided Bombs. It is also exporting the Spice 2000 Guided Bombs.
- The value of the orders was USD 30 Million & several Indian firms were partners in the programme.
Second Unit of KRAS
KRAS is planning to open another manufacturing unit in Telangana.
- KRAS is India’s private sector MSME with advanced manufacturing capabilities and facilities dedicated to especially address the assembly, integration and testing (AIT) of the state-of the-art weapon systems being inducted by the defence forces.
- KRAS is a 49:51 ratio Joint Venture (JV) between Israel’s RAFAEL Advanced Systems & India’s Kalyani Strategic Systems (KSSL).
- KSSL is a 51% subsidiary of Bharat Forge.
Recent Related News:
i.September 27, 2020, The strategic partnership of India-Israel is expanding in various sectors whether it’s innovation or defence. Israeli companies like Rafael Advanced Defense Systems, Elbit and Elta Systems have formed seven joint ventures with Indian companies to boost the production projects of high-tech weapon systems.
About Kalyani Rafael Advanced System (KRAS):
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) – Rudra B Jadega
Location – Hyderabad, Telangana