India’s young shuttler Kidambi Srikanth has successfully won the prestigious Swiss Grand Prix Gold championship title, by defeating Denmark’s Viktor Axelson in a tough finals. Srikanth, the world number 4 player showed his extra ordinary skill to prevail over World number six Axelson, 21-15, 12-21, 21-14 in the nail-biting summit clash of the $120,000 event that lasted for 47 minutes.
Kidambi Srikanth was the first Indian to win a Grand Prix Gold title (Thailand) in June 2013. Injuries slowed down Srikanth’s progress and the brain fever in July, 2014 almost killed him. His mental and physical strength as well as the hard work rewarded him.
Knowledge is Wealth
- Srikanth is the highest ranked Indian men’s player in the World ranking.
- Srikanth won the 2014 China Open Super Series Premier.
- Parupalli Kashyap, another star player form India is currently ranked at 12th position.
- Kashyap was conferred with the Arjuna Award by Government of India in 2012.
- Saina Nehwal and PV Sindhu are star Women Badminton players from India.