On December 10, 2017, Union Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports, Col Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore announced that Khelo India programme will be relaunched at a cost of Rs 1756 crore for the period 2017-18 to 2019-20. While making this announcement, Mr. Rathore also stated that 2018 will be celebrated as Year of Sports.
Salient Features of revamped Khelo India Programme:
Revamped Khelo India Programme was approved by Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi in September 2017.
- Under this programme, Pan Indian Sports Scholarship scheme will be rolled out. Each year, 1000 most talented young athletes across select sports disciplines will be covered in this scholarship scheme.
- The selected athlete shall receive an annual scholarship worth Rs. 5 lakh for 8 consecutive years.
- Under Kehlo India programme, 20 universities across India will be developed as hubs of sporting excellence. These universities would enable talented sports persons to pursue education as well as competitive sports.
- The programme envisages carrying out a massive national physical fitness drive covering about 200 million children in the age group of 10-18 years. This drive will not only measure physical fitness of all children, but will also support their fitness related activities.
Expected impact of revamped Khelo India Programme:
Revamped Khelo India Programme would impact the entire sports ecosystem in India.
- The programme will provide a boost to development of sports infrastructure, community sports, coaching for excellence, talent identification, competition structure and will thereby foster a sports economy.
- One of the objectives of this programme is to engage youth living in disturbed and deprived areas, in sporting activities, so that they don’t get involved in unproductive and disruptive activities.
- Implementation of this programme will eventually lead to higher standards of competition at school and college level.
- The revamped Khelo India Programme strives to promote “Sports for All” as well as “Sports for Excellence.”