To overcome water scarcity and to carry out remedial measures Perumanna Grama Panchayat in Kozhikode district of Kerala has become the first Panchayat in the State, to declare a water policy on the lines of the State government’ s water policy declared in 2008
The water policy of Perumanna was drafted with the help of the Centre for Water Resources Development and Management (CWRDM), Kunnamangalam, after a detailed study of water resources and usage in the panchayat over the last two years.
The panchayat has drafted a 13-point action plan to ensure proper utilisation and conservation of water in its 18 wards.
Highlights of Policy
- To increase water literacy in the panchayat through extensive awareness programmes.
- Large scale use of water that would have an impact on environment will be discouraged.
- There will be a water conservation volunteer in every neighborhoods group.
- Panchayat will be garbage free by 2020, thus eliminating water pollution completely.
- The amount of clean water required for each activity in the panchayat till 2030 will be estimated.
- The distribution of water will be arranged taking into consideration the necessity and availability of water that the water cycle is completed.
- Water conservation committees have been formed at ward level as well as panchayat level, which work in tandem with the committees for agriculture, basic development, education, health and industrial development. It should incorporate in its activities the essence of the water and environment policy of the State government.
- Kerala Capital – Thiruvananthapuram
- Kerala CM – Oommen Chandy
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification