Famous Cricketing Magazine, Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack, has named 5 best cricketers for each decade, starting from 1970’s to 2010’s to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the 1st One-Day International (ODI) match.
The list featured 3 Indian cricketers – Kapil Dev, Sachin Tendulkar & Virat Kohli.
Note – 1st ever ODI match was played between Australia & England at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on 5 January 1971.
i.Kapil Dev named as ODI Cricketer for the decade – 1980’s
- He led India to its first ODI World Cup win in 1983.
ii.Sachin Tendulkar ODI Cricketer for the decade – 1990’s
- He made a unique record with 9 ODI centuries in a single calendar year.
iii.Virat Kohli ODI Cricketer for the decade – 2010’s
- He scored over 11,000 runs in that 10-year, with 42 centuries and average run rate over 60.
iv.Apart from them, England all-rounder Ben Stokes was declared the ‘Cricketer of the Year’ for a 2nd successive time.
- Muttiah Muralitharan was awarded the ODI Cricketer of the 2000s.
- Dom Sibley, Zak Crawley, West Indian Jason Holder, Mohammed Rizwan and Darren Stevens were named Wisden Cricketers of the Year in the 2021 edition of Wisden Almanack.
- Australia’s Beth Mooney was awarded ‘Leading Women’s Cricketer in the World’
- West Indian all-rounder Kieron Pollard was named the Leading T20 Cricketer in the World.
Recent Related News:
In the International Cricket Council(ICC) Awards of the Decade (2011-2020):
- Indian Captain Virat Kohli was awarded Sir Garfield Sobers Award for ICC Male Cricketer of the Decade.
- MS Dhoni won the ICC Spirit of Cricket Award of the Decade.
About Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack:
Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack popularly known as the “Bible of Cricket” is an annual publication founded in 1864.
Founder- John Wisden
Editor- Lawrence Booth
Origin- London, England