In the 153rd and latest edition of Wisden has included New Zealand captain Kane Williamson and predecessor Brendon McCullum are among Wisden’s five cricketers of the year.
- Australia captain Steve Smith, and England’s Ben Stokes and Jonny Bairstow were the others announced.
- Retired Kiwi captain McCullum, who has scored a 54-ball century, the fastest in Tests, this year. Ben Stokes earned his place in this elite list presumably mainly by the virtue of his 258 off 198 balls against South Africa in the 1st Test in a recent series.
Williamson was picked as the leading cricketer in the world by Wisden, having “confirmed himself as one of the talents of his generation for hitting an impressive 2,692 international runs in 2015.
Wisden’s Women Cricketer:
- While Kane’s compatriot Suzie Bates was named the leading women’s cricketer, having scored her sixth one-day international century against England in February.
- Stokes was one of the stars of England’s Ashes success, while wicketkeeper/batsman Bairstow also played his part as well as helping Yorkshire win the County Championship.
- Delhi Opener Shikhar Dhawan is the only Indian cricketer to have been named as part of the Wisden’s Cricketers of the Year in the recent past, in 2014
The Top Five Players in the Wisden 2016 edition:
|Jonny Bairstow||Wicket Keeper & Batsman.||England|
|Brendon McCullum||Batsman.||New Zealand|
|Ben stokes||All Rounder||England|
|Kane Willamson||Batsman||New Zealand|