Justice Tirath Singh Thakur(63) will take over as successor of Chief Justice of India H L Dattu who advocated his appointment . He will be 43rd Chief Justice of India and is the seniormost judge after the Chief Justice.
Judgements by Justice Thakur:
- Conducted the bench which had handed over the finding on amending the BCCI for the IPL spot-fixing scandal. The Justice Lodha Committee, had also been led by his bench which has announced a drop-off recommendations for IPL and BCCI.
- In 2012, to map the drug menace in India was also carried out on the orders of the bench led by him.
- In 2013, Justice Thakur’s bench made it mandatory for all the courts to resolve the aspect of compensation for victims in every criminal case.
- In 2014, Justice Thakur’s bench set a rigid analysis for those who wants to join police force. Any person who has faced a criminal case cannot get a job in the police force, even if he or she is acquitted or reaches a settlement under the law.
- Currently checking out Ganga cleaning, Saradha chit fund scam case, NRHM scam, One-Rank-One-Pension (OROP) case, Sahara investors’ refund etc.
About Justice Thakur:
- Former acting Chief Justice of Delhi High Court
- Took over as Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court
- Exalted to the Supreme Court of India