Kolkata-based football club Mohun Bagan conferred prestigious Mohun Bagan Ratna award on former club captain and coach Subrata Bhattacharya, while Indian Women’s cricket team veteran pacer Jhulan Goswami was given a special award at the club’s annual day programme in Kolkata on July 29, 2017.
About Mohun Bagan and Mohun Bagan Ratna Award:
Mohun Bagan Athletic Club is a football club based in Kolkata, West Bengal, India.The club was established in 1889 by Bhupendra Nath Bose and is the oldest existing football club in India.
- Mohun Bagan Day has been celebrated since 2001 on 29 July each year in honour of Mohun Bagan’s victory over East Yorkshire Regiment in the 1911 IFA Shield Final.
- Mohun Bagan Ratna is an award presented each year on Mohun Bagan Day to outstanding former players.
- The first recipient of Mohun Bagan Ratna Award was former captain Sailen Manna.
Mohun Bagan Annual Awards Ceremony:
Former club striker Balwant Singh, who has been signed by Mumbai City FC in the Indian Super League (ISL) draft, was awarded the best football player of the year prize.
- Debabrata Das got the best cricket player of the year award.
- The lifetime achievement award was bestowed upon former Bengal batsman Shyam Sundar Mitra.
- An exhibition match involving former players was played to start proceedings at the club ground.
- There was also an opening performance by singer Sagnik Sen.
Other Awardees at Mohun Bagan Annual Awards Ceremony:
|Best Youth Football Player||Deep Saha|
|Special Award for Mountaineer’s||Sheikh Sahabuddin and Kuntal Karar|
|Birth Centenary Award||Late Dinanath Roy|
|Special Award||Lili Das for Athletics|