On January 19, 2021, Jammu & Kashmir’s Department of Skill Development signed an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Jammu whereas Department of Higher Education signed an MoU with Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI).
i.MoU between Department of Skill Development & IIT Jammu – To increase the skill sets of students, increase their employability by exposing them to Latest Technologies.
ii.MoU between Department of Higher Education & ICSI – To teach new skills to students enrolled at Cluster Universities of Srinagar and Jammu at SPMR College.
MoU between Department of Skill Development & IIT Jammu:
The agreement was signed by Sajad Hussain Ganai, Director Skill Development Department & Professor Manoj S Gaur, Director of IIT Jammu.
i.As part of the agreement,
- The Polytechnic & ITI sector will be updated through introduction of specific training skills.
- The new skills based on upcoming projects like tunnels, railways, power projects, cold storage & refrigeration will be introduced.
- With the main aim of the agreement being to develop skills and generate employability among J&K youth.
- The agreement promotes institutional exchange between the institutions to use their infrastructure, labs & workshops for research works.
- In this regard as a first step, IIT Jammu will adopt Polytechnic College Jammu for development, promotion and organizing workshops & research programs.
ii.Government Polytechnic College, Jammu has already set up a Centre for Invention Innovation Incubation and Training (CIIIT) for providing training complying with Industry 4.0 standards.
- The Centre has been set up with the help of Tata Technology Limited, Pune.
- It will also be used to train students in various courses & industrial training.
Department of Higher Education’s MoU with ICSI:
The agreement has been signed to skill the Undergraduate students in J&K by including Skills courses in their curriculum or offering them as Certificate, Diploma, Advanced Diploma and Degrees.
- Skills courses will be provided in the fields of Agriculture, Horticulture, Fashion Technology, Paramedical, Pharmacy, nursing & food technology.
- The MoU is in line with the New Industrial Policy of J&K and National Education Policy introduced by the Central Government.
- The Department of Higher Education has signed 13 MoUs with various institutions for skill enhancement of students in J&K.
Recent Related News:
i.On September 15, 2020 The Horticulture Department of J&K launched “Backyard Horticulture” Programme under CAPEX (Capital Expenditure) scheme at Panchayat Jaswan in Marh Block of Jammu district.
About Jammu & Kashmir (J&K):
Lt Governor – Manoj Sinha
Capitals– Srinagar (Summer), Jammu (Winters)