Jharkhand has clinched the 1st Position among the 36 States & UTs of India based on the progress of implementation of Smart City projects, Rajasthan came second in the rankings. The rankings were released by the Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA).
- The ranking is based on factors like smart city plan implementation, ongoing work and tendering process, utilisation of funds and provision of utility certificates to the Central Government. They are released frequently by MoHUA.
i.Rajasthan has climbed 27 ranks to get to the 2nd position, it was ranked 29th in the previous rankings.
- It has completed & implemented the largest number of projects under the Smart City Mission.
- 4 cities from the state – Udaipur (8th), Kota (11th), Ajmer (29th), and Jaipur (36th) featured in the 100 smart city rankings.
ii.Jharkhand’s capital Ranchi has risen to 12th Position among the 100 Smart Cities ranking.
iii.In the list of States/UTs, Delhi was ranked at number 11, Bihar at 27, Patna (Bihar) at 68th position & New Delhi Municipal Corporation is at 41st position.
Smart City Mission
- It was launched in 2015 with an overlay of INR 48, 000 Crores.
- Objective – To promote sustainable & inclusive cities for giving a decent quality of life to its citizens, a clean & sustainable environment and application of ‘Smart’ Solutions.
- Government has selected 100 cities for area-based and pan-city development between 2019 and 2023.
- Implementation of the Smart Cities Mission is done by a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) to be set up at city level.
- INR 6, 450 Crore was allocated in Union Budget 2021-22 for the Smart Cities Mission.
- It is being implemented keeping in mind that India will have an urban population of about 810 million by 2050.
Recent Related News:
March 5, 2021, Hardeep Singh Puri, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for the Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA) released the Final Rankings of Ease of Living Index (EoLI) 2020 & Municipal Performance Index (MPI) 2020 through an online event.
About Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA)
Minister of State (Independent Charge) Housing And Urban Affairs – Hardeep Singh Puri (Rajya Sabha – Uttar Pradesh)