The Jan Aushadhi Diwas(Generic Medicine Day) is annually observed across India on 7th March to create awareness about the importance of Generic Medicines and to highlight the benefits of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP).
- The Jan Aushadhi Diwas is annually organised by the Pharmaceuticals & Medical Devices Bureau of India (PMBI), under the aegis of the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers(MoC&F).
- The PMBI organises a week-long celebration – Jan Aushadhi Week (1st to 7th March 2023) across India covering all States and Union Territories(UT).
5th Jan Aushadhi Diwas is celebrated on 7th March 2023 under the theme “Jan Aushadhi-Jan Upyogi”.
- Slogan of Jan Aushadhi Diwas 2023 is “Sasti bhi, Achhi bhi”.
On 7th March 2019, the Prime Minister (PM) of India, Narendra Modi declared the 7th March of every year as Jan Aushadhi Diwas.
- The first ever Jan Aushadhi Diwas was celebrated on 7th March 2019.
Jan Aushadhi Diwas week 2023 was observed from 1st March to 7th March 2023.
The main event of “Jan Aushadhi Diwas” was held on 7th March 2022 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi, Delhi.
Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya, Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare and Chemicals & Fertilizers, and Bhagwant Khuba, Minister of State(MoS) for Chemicals & Fertilizers graced the event organised on Jan Aushadhi Diwas.
Activities of Janaushadhi Diwas week 1st to 7th March 2023:
The Department of Pharmaceuticals planned various events which are focused on creating awareness about the Jan Aushadhi Scheme.
1st March 2023:
Union Minister Dr Mansukh Mandaviya flagged off the Jan Aushadhi Rath to commence celebrations of Jan Aushadhi Jan Chetna Abhiyaan in New Delhi, Delhi.
2nd March 2023
The second day of the celebration stands as Jan Aushadhi Pratigya Yatra.
Pad yatras were carried out with the message of quality and affordable medicines to create a mass fervour among people.
3rd March 2023:
The 3rd day was observed as ‘Jan Aushadhi – Ek Kadam Matri Shakti Ki Ore’.
Union Minister Mansukh Mandaviya and Ashwini Vaishnaw, Minister for Railways flagged off the Jan Aushadhi Train (Chhattisgarh Samparkranti Express) from New Delhi, Delhi.
- This aims to spread awareness about Jan Aushadhi Generic medicines which are available through more than 9000 Kendra at affordable prices.
- This train will travel to more than 4 States for 2 months.
4th March 2023:
The 4th day of the week-long celebration of Jan Aushadhi Diwas 2023 is celebrated as ‘Bal Mitra Diwas’, dedicated to children.
5th March 2023:
On 5th March 2023, ‘Jan Aushadhi -Jan Arogya Melas’ (Health Camps) and Heritage Walks (Health Walk Virasat ke Saath) were organised across India.
Health camps were conducted at 34 different locations at the mega level.
- The theme of the Heritage Walks was “Jan Aushadhi Viraasat ke Saath, Health Heritage Walk”.
6th March 2023:
6th March 2023 is celebrated as “Aao Jan Aushadhi Mitra Banein”. The people took the pledge on ‘Jan Aushadhi Shapath’ digitally on the MyGov platform to promote the use of generic medicines.
- National-level seminars and workshops across India were conducted at the Delhi Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research by the PMBI.
7th March 2023:
On 7th March 2023, Union Minister Dr Mansukh Mandaviya launched the 100th Jan Aushadhi Kendra, NaMo Free Dialysis Centre and flagged off 4 Mobile Health Clinics in Bengaluru South, Karnataka.
- They were launched at the KSRTC Hospital, Jayanagar in the presence of Karnataka Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai.
i.All these activities will be organized within the spirit of “Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav” and several events have been planned at 75 locations.
ii.The above events will focus on awareness about the Jan Aushadhi Scheme, Seminars, participation of children, women and NGOs, Heritage walks and Health walks and many other activities.
Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP):
PMBJP was launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals(MoC&F) and Fertilizers in November 2008.
Objective: to make quality generic medicines available at affordable prices to all.
Implementing agency: PMBI
Target: To increase the number of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendras (PMBJKs) to 10,000 by the end of December 2023.
Under this scheme, dedicated outlets known as Janaushadhi Kendras are established to provide generic medicines at affordable prices.
As on 31st January 2023, the number of stores have increased to 9082. 743 districts out of the 764 districts across India are covered under the scheme.
- The product basket of PMBJP comprises 1,759 drugs and 280 surgical instruments.
- new medicines and nutraceutical products like protein powder, malt-based food supplements, protein bars, immunity bars, sanitisers, masks, glucometers, oximeters, etc. have been also launched.
Medicines available under PMBJP are priced 50%-90% less than that of branded prices.
About Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers(MoC&F):
Union Minister– Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya(Rajya Sabha- Gujarat)
Minister of State(MoS)– Bhagwanth Khuba(Constituency- Bidar, Karnataka)