The ‘Jan Aushadhi Diwas’ is observed every year on March 7. The aim of this day is to create awareness about the use of generic medicines. This day also celebrates the achievements of Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadi Pariyojana. The first “Jan Aushadhi Diwas” is celebrated on 7th March 2019.
- On this day Prime Minister Narendra Modi will interact with seven Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadi Pariyojana Kendrasthe, beneficiaries and owners of Jan Aushadhi kendras across the country through video conferencing from New Delhi.
PM Narendra Modi interacted with the beneficiaries and owners:
- He announced that medicines at these kendras are available at an affordable price (50 to 90 percent less than the market price) and every month more than one crore people benefit from these centers.
- Establishment of New hospitals, wellness centers and increasing MBBS seats in colleges are the steps to bring health care within the reach of every citizen.
- He conveyed people not to panic by the rumours over the spread of coronavirus. He suggested people to follow the traditional Indian way of saying Namaste instead of the usual handshake to reduce the chances of transmission of infection. He urged people to consult a doctor in case of any symptoms rather than taking self-treatments.
Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana:
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) scheme was announced on July 01, 2015, by the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi, to provide quality medicines at an affordable price.
- The “Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana” is initiated by the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Government of India.
- In order to increase awareness about the scheme, several programmes will be organised at all PMBJP Kendras. Doctors, health experts, NGOs and beneficiaries would be participating in the programme
- The Government aims to have at least 1 PMBJP Kendra in each block of the country by 2020. No poor person should die due to non-availability of good quality affordable medicines in the country.
- Janaushadi Kendras is considered the biggest retail pharm chain of the world with around 6200 outlets in 700 districts. Total sales in the financial year 2019 – 20 has crossed Rs. 390 crores.