The Union Ministry of health and welfare has been taking consistent efforts to develop new medicines and keep the contagious diseases under control. Recently, the minister of Health and Welfare launched the Rota virus vaccine.
- Rotavirus vaccine is an initiative to provide immunity against Diarrhoea and bring infant mortality rate under control
- This vaccine will be made available under Universal Immunization Programme
- This vaccine aims to reach out to 27 million children
- It was developed by the Ministries of Science and Health and Family Welfare through public-private partnership under ‘Make in India’ initiative
- The vaccine is a cost effective program and it is to be rolled out in of Himachal Pradesh, Haryana,Odisha and Andhra Pradesh in the first phase
- The event was organized in Bhubaneshwar
- Union Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan and Odisha health minister Atanu Sabyasachi Nayak were present during the launch
- Rota is a highly contagious virus that infects majority of children
- It is the most common cause of severe diarrhoea among children, leading to hospitalisation and death.
- About 80,000 – 1,00,000 children die in India due to rotavirus diarrhoea every year
- Union Minister of Health & Welfare– JP Nadda
- Odisha CM- Naveen Patnaik