Prime Minister Amadou Gon Coulibaly (61), the Presidential election candidate of Ivory Coast’s ruling party, died on 8 July 2020 at Abidjan, Ivory Coast within a few days after returning from two months of treatment in France.
About Amadou Gon Coulibaly:
- He was born in Abidjan, Ivory Coast.
- He has been the Prime Minister of Ivory Coast since 2017.
Various Posts Held:
- He had earlier served as the presidency’s secretary general under President Alassane Ouattara from 2011 to 2017.
- From 2017, Coulibaly was an ex officio member of the board of governors of the International Monetary Fund.
- Ouattara’s Rally of the Republicans Party has been in power since the post-election violence a decade ago.
- Amadou Gon Coulibaly is a presidential candidate in the upcoming election as President Alassane Ouattara has to step down after his second term of Presidency.
- He attended a ministerial meeting at the presidential palace in Abidjan on 8 July, and later fell ill.
About Ivory Coast (Côte d’Ivoire):
President: Alassane Ouattara
Currency: West African CFA franc