74th edition of the Italian Open tennis tournament took place at Rome’s Foro Italico from 10-21 May, 2017.
- In Men’s Singles final match, 20-year old Alexander Zverev created a major upset by defeating former World No. 1 Novak Djokovic and thereby won his first ATP Masters 1000 title.
- In Women’s Singles finals, 22-year old Elina Svitolina won over Simona Halep. Owing to this victory, Svitolina surged to No. 1 in the season-long rankings race.
- Martina Hingis and Chan Yung-Jan won Women’s Doubles title by defeating reigning Olympic champions Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina. This is a fourth title win for Martina Hingis and Chan Yung-Jan as a team.
- In Men’s Doubles Final match, French duo Pierre-Hugues Herbert and Nicolas Mahut won against Ivan Dodig and Marcel Granollers.
Italian Open 2017 – Winners:
|Men’s Singles||Alexander Zverev (Germany)||Novak Djokovic (Serbia)|
|Women’s Singles||Elina Svitolina (Ukraine)||Simona Halep (Romania)|
|Men’s Doubles|| Pierre-Hugues Herbert (France)
Nicolas Mahut (France)
|Ivan Dodig (Croatia)
Marcel Granollers (Spain)
|Women’s Doubles||Martina Hingis (Switzerland)
Y Chan (Taiwan)
|E Makarva (Russia)
E Vesnina (Russia)
About Italian Open:
The Italian Open is a tennis tournament that is held annually since year 1930 during second week of May in Italy.
- After French Open, Italian Open is one of the most prestigious tennis tournament played on red clay surface.
- The men’s competition in Italian Open is an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event on the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) tour.
- Women’s competition in Italian Open is a Premier 5 event on the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) tour.
- Italian Open is also known as Internazionali BNL d’Italia (sponsored name), Rome Masters and Italian Championships.
- Rafael Nadal holds the record of winning seven Italian Open singles titles.