Every year July 30 is observed as International Day of Friendship.Since,2011 ,the 65th session of the United Nations general assembly declared this day as official International Friendship Day.This day is dedicated in building bridges and friendship among people,countries and cultures.
To mark the International Day of Friendship the UN encourages governments,international organizations and society groups to held events,activities and initiatives that contribute to the efforts to the international community towards promoting a dialogue among civilizations,solidarity ,mutual understanding and reconciliation.
This day is also to support the goals and objectives of the Declaration and programme of action on a Culture of Peace and the International Decade for a Culture of Peace and Non-violence for the Children of the World(2001-2010)
“Friendship is sweet when it is new,sweeter when its true ,but sweetest when it is you.Happy Friendship Day.”
ABOUT INTERNATIONAL FRIENDSHIP DAY:
- Friendship Day was originally promoted by Joyce Hall ,the founder of Hallmark cards in 1930.He wanted it to be marked by people by sending cards to each other.
- Friendship Day celebrations occur on different dates in different countries.
- Those who promote holiday in south Asia attribute the tradition of dedicating a day in honor of friends to have originated in the U.S in 1935,but it actually dates from 1919.
- The day has been celebrated in several southern South American countries for many years,particularly in Paraguay,where the first World Friendship Day was proposed in 1958.
- The exchange of Friendship Day gifts like flowers,cards and wrist bands is a popular tradition of this occasion.
- But some countries,including India celebrate Friendship Day on the first Sunday of August.In Oberlin,Ohio,Friendship Day is celebrated on April 8th each year.
- The World Friendship crusade is a foundation that promotes friendship and fellowship among all human beings,regardless of race,color or religion.