The United Nations(UN)’s International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking is annually observed across the globe on 26th June to strengthen the action and cooperation to achieve the goal of a world free of drug abuse.
- International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking is also known as “World Drug Day” (WDD).
- The theme of International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking 2022 is “Addressing drug challenges in health and humanitarian crises”.
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) is one of the key organisation to take action against drug use and to protect people, including by strengthening drug use prevention and treatment, and by tackling illicit drug supply.
In December 1987, the United Nations General Assembly(UNGA) adopted the resolution A/RES/42/112 “International Conference on Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking”, and proclaimed the 26th June of every year as the International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking.
The 2022 observance aims to create awareness about the major problem that illicit drugs represent in society.
i.As a part of the celebration of WDD 2022, the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crimes (UNODC) has put forward a #CareInCrises Campaign, calling on the stakeholders (governments, international organizations, civil society, and others) to take action to protect people, by strengthening drug use prevention and treatment, and by tackling illicit drug supply.
ii.The campaign highlights the data of the World Drug Report 2022 and provides facts and practical solutions to the world drug problem, to attain a vision of health for all based on science.
UNODC’s annual Report – World Drug Report 2022:
i.UNODC annually published the World Drug Report, featuring key statistics and factual data obtained through official sources, a science-based approach and research.
ii.The World Drug Report 2022 offers an overview of the current trends in the global drug market and includes the latest information on drug use, production and trafficking.
India – Himachal CM Launches Campaign to curb the drug menace in Himachal Pradesh:
On the occasion of WDD 2022, (26th June 2022), Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister (CM) Jairam Thakur launched the ‘Nasha Nahin, Zindagi Chunne’ initiative in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh.
- He also flagged off the vehicles of the Department of State Taxes and Excise to deal with drug peddling in Shimla.
- He also stated that a Special Task Force would be constituted headed by Additional Director General of Police Crime Investigation Department(CID) and Department of State Taxes and Excise officers to eradicate the drug menace across the state.
About United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC):
Executive Director– Ghada Fathi Waly
Headquarters– Vienna, Austria