International Coffee Day is observed annually on October 1 to celebrate coffee and recognize the efforts of people who are associated with the coffee industry namely, farmers, roasters, baristas, coffee shop owners globally. The day also promotes fair trade coffee and raise awareness for the coffee growers.
International Coffee Organisation(ICO) launched its first official International Coffee Day in Milan, Italy in 2015 as part of Expo 2015, a World Expo hosted by Milan.
International Coffee Day 2020
i.This year’s focus is to help the next generation to realise their future in the coffee sector
ii.ICO on the occasion of the International Coffee launched ‘Coffee’s Next Generation’, a global initiative that targets talented and motivated young people and entrepreneurs in the coffee sector.
ICO Member Governments represent 99% of world coffee production and 67% of world consumption
National Coffee Day
Many countries celebrate national coffee day on other dates, eg, National Coffee Day in the United States(US) on September 29 every year.
Gist about Coffee
Coffee is a brewed drink prepared from roasted coffee beans, the seeds of berries from certain Coffea species. It is one of the most loved beverages in the world.
Coffee and health
- Coffee is a good source of riboflavin (a B vitamin) and other antioxidants.
- People who consumed more coffee had a low risk of death and those who drank any coffee lived for more years than those who did not drink.
- Moderate coffee drinkers had a lower risk of heart failure, with the biggest effect found for those who drank more than 4 cups a day.
- Coffee consumption is associated with a lower risk of Parkinson’s disease, type 2 diabetes, and several liver diseases.
- Regular coffee consumption of up to 6 cups a day reduces the risk of many types of cancer.
Among others Caffeine is a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant of the methylxanthine class. It is the world’s most widely consumed psychoactive drug.
About International Coffee Organization (ICO):
Executive Director– José Dauster Sette
Headquarters– London, United Kingdom
Members– 49(as of 4 February 2020)