International Coastal Clean-up (ICC) Day is annually observed across the world on the 3rd Saturday of September to encourage people to clean up the coastal line and create awareness about the importance of preserving and protecting the oceans and waterways.
17th September 2022 marks the 37th observance of the ICC Day.
- ICC Day 2021 was observed on 18th September 2021.
- ICC Day 2023 will be observed on 16th September 2023.
Every year the Association for Community Awareness (ASCOA) joins Ocean Conservancy to commemorate ICC Day.
- The ASCOA’s theme for ICC Day 2022 is “Connecting People For A Trash Free Coastline”.
The International Coastal Cleanup community drive for 2022 was launched with #SeatheChange to clean up local beaches, streams, parks etc.
i.International Coastal Cleanup (ICC) Day was established by the Ocean Conservancy, an organization that works to help protect the ocean from the challenges it faces every year.
ii.The first-ever ICC Day was observed in the United States on the west coast of Washington State in 1986.
ICC Day 2022 Events in India:
AIM of ICC Day 2022 in India:
To conduct a cleanliness drive all along 7,500 km of Indian coast line at 75 beaches for 75 minutes with special emphasis on Plastic Free Ocean to commemorate 75 years of Independence.
i.The ICC Day is annually observed across the globe under the aegis of United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and South Asia Co-operative Environment Programme (SACEP) in the South Asian Region to make efforts to prevent and control marine pollution in the maritime zones of India.
- Since 2006, the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) has been co-ordinating the ICC Day activity in India.
- In addition to ICG, ICC Day 2022 is spearheaded by the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES), Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC), National Services Scheme (NSS), National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) and various other central & state governments. Departments and Non-Government Organisations (NGO).
- Aa a part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav, several activities have been organised from 4th July 2022 (75 days before September 17, 2022) as a run-up to ICC day.
i.The Governor of Maharashtra, Bhagat Singh Koshyari in presence of Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh flagged off the largest coastal clean drive up at Juhu Beach in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Indian Coast Guard (ICG) conducted the International Coastal Cleanup drive in Mumbai.
- 22 clean awareness drives were organized by the ICG personnel along with NSS and NGO My Green Society at different locations of Mumbai like Juhu, Girgaon, Versova, Uttan, Madh Marve, Colaba, Bandra and Worli.
ii.The ‘‘Swachh Sagar Surakshit Sagar’’ campaign was implemented in a whole of government and nationwide manner, in which citizens across all coastal states participated to clean the marine junk.
- The campaign is in line with the UN’s Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) No. 14.
About ECO-Mitram’ app:
On 5 July 2022, a mobile application called ‘ECO-Mitram’ was launched by the Govt. Of India (GoI) to take the drive to every individual and also to spread awareness about the importance of ICC Day.