On 28th March 2017, INLCU L51, first of the eight ships of the LCU MK IV Class was commissioned into the Indian Navy by Vice Admiral Bimal Verma, AVSM, Commander-in-Chief, Andaman and Nicobar Command at Port Blair.
- INLCU L51 has been built by Kolkata-based M/s Garden Reach Ship Builders & Engineers Ltd. (GRSE) Commissioning of this ship holds special significance as it has been designed and constructed indigenously.
- It is the latest testimony to Modi Govt.’s commitment to ‘Make in India’ campaign.
- Dignitaries who attended commissioning ceremony included Vice Admiral Dilip Deshpande, Controller of Warship Production and Acquisition, Rear Admiral VK Saxena (Retd.), Chairman and Managing Director of GRSE along with other senior Indian naval officers.
Specifications of LCU 51:
- Displacement (Weight): 900 tons
- Length: 62.8 m
- Breadth: 11 m
- Engines: 02 MTU diesel engines of 1840 Kw rating which can sustain speeds up to 15 knots
- Armament: Two 30 mm CRN -91 guns in addition to 12.7 mm Heavy Machine Guns along with 7.62 mm Medium Machine Guns
- Other Hi-tech Specification: State-of-the art Electronic Warfare suite for early spotting of adversaries. Integrated Platform Management System and Integrated Bridge System.
LCU 51 will be undertaking following activities:
This ship is expected to play a key role in carrying out maritime surveillance around Andaman & Nicobar Islands. Specifically, it will try to prevent poaching, illegal fishing, drug trafficking, human trafficking, poaching and other illegal activities in the designated waters.
- It has been built to assist in carrying out beaching operations.
- It will also play an important role in Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) operations for the Andaman and Nicobar Command.
- Cdr Vishwesh S Nadkarni is in charge of LCU 51
Related Terms and Abbreviations:
- LCU: Landing Craft Utility – Type of boats that are used for movement of troops, equipments and vehicles to and fro larger carriers and shore.
- Mk IV: Pronounced as Mark 4 – It refers to the fourth version/model/variant of a product especially in context of defence equipments.
- Beaching: Refers to a process in which a boat or a ship is brought on shore for a specific purpose.
- Knots: Unit of Speed