India successfully test-fired Agni-5 from Wheeler’s Island off Odisha coast. Agni-5 is indigenously developed, intercontinental surface-to-surface nuclear capable ballistic missile. The strike range of Agni-5 is more than 5000 kms and it is capable of carrying nuclear warhead of over one tonne. Agni-5 is about 17 meters long, 2 metres wide and has a launch weight of 50 tonnes.
Unlike other missiles of Agni series, ‘Agni-V’ is incorporated with advanced technologies such as high accuracy Ring Laser Gyro based Inertial Navigation System, the most modern and accurate Micro Navigation System, a high speed on-board computer, fault tolerant software, etc. After few more trials, Agni-5 will be inducted into the services.
Knowledge is Wealth
The Range of Agni missiles
- Agni-1 – 700 km range
- Agni-2 – 2000 km range
- Agni-3 and Agni-4 – 2500 km to more than 3500 km range.
- Agni-5 – 5000 Km to 8000 km range
- Agni-6 – 8000 Km to 10,000 Km range
- In Agni series, Agni-1, Agni-2, and Agni-3 are operational. Agni-4 and Agni-5 are in testing phase. Agni-6 is under development.
- Agni missiles are nuclear weapons capable surface to surface ballistic missiles developed by DRDO and Bharat Dynamics Limited.