India’s First Labour Movement Museum which showcases the history of the World Labour Movement is set to be launched in Kerala’s houseboat tourism hub, Alappuzha, Kerala. The New Model Cooperative Society Limited building has been converted into the Labour Movement Museum.
i.The museum has been constructed with a budget of INR 9.95 crores & 97% of renovations works in the museum have been completed.
- The Museum is located alongside the Port and Coir museums displaying the town’s rich maritime heritage.
- It will portray pictures, documents & other exhibits which shaped the growth of the labour movement across the world & Alappuzha, which is the cradle of the Labour movement in India.
- It is being launched as part of the Left Democratic Front (LDF) Government’s second 100-day programme.
- The museum will be an integral part of Alappuzha Heritage Tourism Project.
- Kerala State Coir Corporation Ltd building, formerly run by the Volkart Brothers, will become the Museum of Coir History.
ii.Noted conservation architect Dr. Benny Kuriakose is undertaking several restoration works to develop Heritage tourism in Alappuzha.
Recent Related News:
i.October 12, 2020, Kerala became the First State in India to completely digitalize the public education sector.
Dams – Idukki Dam (Periyar River), Idamalayar Dam (Idamalayar River)
RAMSAR sites – Vembanad Kol Wetland, Sasthamkotta Lake, Ashtamudi Lake