India’s first integrated Heliport was inaugurated by the Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju on February 28, 2017 at Rohini in North Delhi.The Heliport is the first of its kind facility in South Asia for rotor wing aircraft including their landing and takeoff and has been built by state-owned Pawan Hans Ltd.
- Minister of State for Civil Aviation Jayant Sinha, Delhi Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal and Pawan Hans CMD B P Sharma among others were present at the ceremony.
Features of Heliport
The newly developed heliport has been built over an area of 25 acres with a total investment of Rs. 100 crore
- The heliport consists of a terminal building having a capacity of 150 passengers, 4 hangars with the parking capacity of 16 helicopters and 9 parking bays.
- The facility also has a Maintenance, Repair, and Overhaul (MRO) facility for the upkeep of Pawan Hans fleet as well as for third-party maintenance work.
- The heliport will also be used for operating services for disaster management, emergency medical services, law and order surveillance as well as a centre for the skill development of pilots and engineers.
- Rohini heliport will also promote regional air connectivity through helicopters in the northern region.
- The commencement of services from the heliport is expected to reduce congestion at the Delhi Airport which currently handles about 40-50 helicopter arrivals and departures on an average per day besides the large-scale fixed-wing operations.
- Rohini facility has a separate air traffic control (ATC), fire and fuelling services area.
- The heliport had been undergoing successful trail runs since February 2016.
- The heliport will play an important role in providing various helicopter services ranging from offshore transport, connecting remote & inaccessible Islands of Andaman & Nicobar and Lakshadweep promoting heli-tourism in India.
About Pawan Hans Ltd
Pawan Hans is a Mini Ratna-I category helicopter service PSU. It is engaged in providing helicopter support service to oil sector ONGC for its off-shore explorations operations.
- Besides, this public sector company is often engaged for providing services to various state governments in India.
- Pawan Hans is “Approved Maintenance Centre of Eurocopter” and also the first ISO 9001: 2000 certified aviation company in India.
- Headquarter: Noida
- Founded: 1985