Vice Admiral SUNIL LANBA, PVSM, AVSM, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief Southern Naval Command, inaugurated the first India’s harbor defence system named THE INTEGRATED UNDERWATER HARBOR DEFENSE AND SURVEILLANCE SYSTEM (IUHDSS) in Kochi,Kerala on JULY 31,2015.
- This is first system of its kind in the country, was a part of Navy’s initiative to strengthen security of the coastline.
- Designed by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), ELTA of Israel.
- The automatic system IUHDSS is capable of detecting, identifying, tracking and generating warning for all types of surface and underwater threats to harbor security.
- It consists of Advanced Coastal Surveillance Radars, Electro-optic sensors and SONAR (SOUND NAVIGATION AND RANGING) for detecting presence of divers and other underwater threats to security.
- The system was contracted by Integrated Headquarters of Ministry of Defence in 2012.
- The system will operate under the control of the Naval Officer-in-Charge of Kerala.
- ELTA Systems Ltd is an Israeli provider of defense products and services specializing in RADAR, C4ISTAR, RF, SIGINT and EW products.
- It was established in the year 1967.
- ELTA, is a group and subsidiary of Israel Aerospace Industries, is one of Israel’s major defence electronics companies specializing in a variety of fields.