On February 20, 2021, the state government of Kerala, on the line of its Digital Transformation Initiatives announced in Budget 2021, has launched India’s first Digital University, Kerala University of Digital Sciences, Innovation and Technology (KUDSIT) in Technocity at Mangalapuram in Thiruvananthapuram by upgrading its two-decade old Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management Kerala (IIITM-K), a center of excellence in information technologies.
- The Governor of Kerala, Arif Mohammed Khan inaugurated the KUDSIT through videoconferencing.
- The 10-acre University was launched during a function which was virtually presided over by Chief Minister (CM) Pinarayi Vijayan. The Governor Arif Mohammed Khan, who is also the Chancellor of the KUDSIT virtually unveiled the university plaque during the function.
- The university is aimed at utilizing the developments in digital technology for social progress and for all individuals.
Digital University with 5 Schools of Knowledge:
The University will initiate with following 5 Schools of Knowledge with master (post graduate) level programmes and research:
- School of Computer Science and Engineering
- School of Digital Sciences
- School of Electronic Systems and Automation
- School of Informatics
- School of Digital Humanities and Liberal Arts.
These schools will cover science, technology, and humanities aspects of the Digital world.
–The reason behind the setting up of Digital University is to make Kerala a global hub for higher learning and technology by using new technologies.
–There will be setting up of specialized centres in areas like Blockchain, artificial intelligence (AI) & money laundering (ML), Cyber Security, Big data analytics, Biocomputing, and Geospatial analytics in collaboration with leading international academic, research, and industry bodies.
–There will also be adoption of technology in design, pedagogy, assessment, etc.
— Once fully developed, it will provide education to 1,200 residential scholars from its campus.
Recent Related News:
i.India’s First Labour Movement Museum which showcases the history of the World Labour Movement is set to be launched in Kerala’s houseboat tourism hub, Alappuzha, Kerala. The New Model Cooperative Society Limited building has been converted into the Labour Movement Museum.
ii.Madhya Pradesh (MP) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Kerala to emulate its ‘Responsible Tourism (RT)’ initiative. The initiative was started by Kerala in 2017 to ensure the economic well-being of society, social & cultural stability and environmental protection.
Tiger Reserve– Periyar Tiger Reserve, Parambikulam Tiger Reserve
Bird Sanctuary– Thattekkad bird Sanctuary, Mangalavanam Bird Sanctuary