Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu flagged off the country’s first Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) based two trains (Rewari to Rohtak and Rewari to Bikaner station) from Haryana’s Rewari station. This is a major milestone achieved by the Indian Railways. The train is powered by Diesel Electric Multiple Unit (DEMU), which is based on dual fuel system, i.e. diesel and CNG.
This CNG powered Train will reduce,
- Carbon monoxide emissions by 90%
- Carbon dioxide by 25%
- Nitrogen oxide by 35%
- Non-methane hydrocarbon emissions by 50%.
The CNG system not only reduces Green House Gas emission, but also reduces the consumption of Diesel. Indian Railways is planning to start more such trains in different routes to reduce CO2 emission and also diesel consumption.
Knowledge is Wealth
- The first train in India was introduced from Mumbai to Thane 16th of April 1853.
- Indian Railways’ Mascot is Bholu – The Guard Elephant.
- Indian Railways employs more than 1.5 million people in India. It is the World’s IX largest employer.
- The Coaches for trains are manufactured at ICF/Chennai, RCF/Kapurthala (Punjab) and BEML/Bengaluru.
- The longest Railway Platform in the World is at Kharagpur Station (2733 ft in length) of West Bengal.