India’s Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) Girish Chandra Murmu has been appointed as External Auditor of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) for a three-year term starting 2021.
- The appointment was made during an election process held at the OPCW Conference of State Parties held on April 21, 2021.
- India was also selected as a member of the Executive council of the OPCW representing the Asia group for another 2-year term.
Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW)
- It is an intergovernmental organisation and Implementing body for the Chemical Weapons Convention, which entered into force on 29th April 1997.
- It oversees the global endeavour for permanent and verifiable elimination of chemical weapons.
- Members – 193
Girish Chandra Murmu
i.He hails from the Mayurbhanj District of Odisha.
ii.He is a 1985 batch Gujarat cadre IAS officer.
iii.He served as 1st Lieutenant Governor of UT of Jammu & Kashmir from October 2019 to August 2020.
- 14th CAG of India
- External Auditor of Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU)
- Chairman of the United Nations Panel of External Auditors
Recent Related News:
i.On March 09, 2021, India’s 14th CAG, Shri Girish Chandra Murmu was re-appointed as the Chairman of the Panel of External Auditors of the United Nations(UN) for the year 2021.
About Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW)
Director-General – Mr Fernando Arias
Headquarters – Hague, Netherlands