Indian women’s Hockey Team won the prestigious Hero Hockey World League Round 2 by defeating Poland 3-1 in a nail-biting final at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium, New Delhi. Indian star Player Deepika was declared as the player of the match and Poland’s skipper Marlena Rybacha has accolade with the player of the tournament award. From Indian side, the goals are scored by Vandana Katariya, Rani, and Ritu Rani. The lonely goal scorer from Poland was Oriana Walasek.
Knowledge is Wealth
- Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium was built in 1933 as a gift for Delhi from the Maharaja of Bhavnagar.
- This stadium was served as the venue for the First Asian Games in 1951.
- Irwin Amphitheatre was the original name of the stadium and was renamed as National Stadium before the 1951 Asian Games, and finally Dhyan Chand‘s name was added in 2002.
- Dhyan Chand is considered as the greatest field hockey player of all time. He is referred as an “Indian who captivated Hitler“.
- Dhyan Chand’s Autobiography – GOAL (published by Sport & Pastime, Chennai, 1952).
- Dhyan Chand’s Birth date – 29th August – is celebrated as National Sports Day in India. On this day all the sports related awards will be given to selected sports personalities by the President.